A great place to learn about gardening tips?
Get the most from your pound!
You have just enjoyed your favorite cup of coffee and boy was it tasty (because you ordered it fresh from us of course!). Before you think your coffee is done, or the grounds at least, keep reading.
We have read quite a bit on the effects of spent coffee grounds on your gardening soils. It appears by spreading the spent grounds in your garden, compost or household plants, it enriches the soil. The nitrogen within the coffee releases into the soil increasing the overall balance allowing the plants to really thrive. We heard they really like Kona blend…
Here are a few more tips:
- Sprinkle the spent coffee grounds around outside plants right before a good rain for a “nitrogen enhancement program”.
- Mix it right into soil when repotting plants.
- If composting, just throw the filter in too. The filter will break down rapidly and the grounds will enrich the soil.
- To repel pests such as ground gnats, add in crushed eggshells to the coffee grounds and create a circle barrier around the base of the plant.
- Take a half pound of coffee grounds per 5 gallons of water, sit the bucket outside to reach outside temperature. You now have a perfect liquid fertilizer!